Pedestrian Killed in Upper Chichester Township
An unidentified pedestrian walking near the 3100 block of Chichester Avenue in Delaware County was killed by a hit-and-run driver. The suspect was charged on February 4th.
Initially, authorities said the driver had remained at the scene, but the Delaware County District Attorney’s Office later confirmed that it was a hit-and-run incident.
Investigators identified the driver as Joseph Garcia of Brookhaven. Garcia was taken into custody at his home and taken to the Upper Chichester police headquarters where he waived his Fifth Amendment rights.
Officials later charged Garcia with multiple vehicle code violations including the duty to give information and render aid and accidents involving death or personal injury. He was arraigned and bail was set at 10 percent of $100,000.
Witnesses are asked to contact the police.
Pedestrian Accidents are Common
Pedestrians walking in high-traffic areas face an increased risk of injury. The most common issues that lead to pedestrian accidents include:
- DUI or DWI
- Reckless driving
- Irresponsible speeding
- Use of electronic devices
- Driving while fatigued
- Poor visibility
- Dangerous weather conditions
What Should You Do If You’re a Pedestrian Injured in an Accident?
If you’re injured by a vehicle while on foot, there are several things you should do. For example:
- Call 911 to the scene. Police will need to investigate the scene of the incident and you should receive a medical assessment, even if you don’t believe you’ve been injured. You should seek immediate medical attention regardless of what has occurred.
- Once you’ve received medical treatment, collect all documentation associated with your physical condition.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the driver if they remain at the scene and you are healthy enough to do so. The conversation should be short and polite, and ideally, supervised by law enforcement. Don’t apologize or admit fault.
- Ask any witnesses for their contact information. Law enforcement can help you with this if needed.
- Take photos and/or videos of the scene if you’re healthy enough to do so. This includes damages, injuries, and the surrounding area.
Contact an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your situation.
We at Heavens Law have worked with people injured in pedestrian accidents of all kinds. Even if you misjudged or made a mistake while walking, you could be eligible for compensation.
For more information or to discuss your situation, contact Heavens Law at 484-467-8254. All phone consultations are free and confidential, with no obligation beyond that.